OHSAS 18001 was introduced in 1999 as an assessable management system. At that time it was not a UK national nor international standard and certification could only be achieved on a non-accredited basis. OHSAS 18001 has now been upgraded to a British Standard with accredited certification available.
The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organisation that wishes to:
- Implement, maintain and continually improve a H&S management system.
- Minimise or eliminate risk to employees and other interested parties.
- Assure itself of its conformance with its stated H&S policy.
- Demonstrate such conformance to others.
- Seek certification of its H&S management system.
OHSAS 18001 provides a framework for compliance with regulatory requirements while providing a safer working environment. OHSAS 18001 has been developed to be compatible with ISO 9001 and ISO 14001 in order to facilitate integration.